Manual installation of Joomla
All actions to be performed from the hosting administration panel.
How do I open the hosting administration panel?
Before you start, please download an up-to-date Joomla installation package from the official site. Then follow the instructions below.
- create the database according to the instructions here: How to create a database? Memorize or write down the database name, user name and password.
For CMS installation you can also use the u1234567_default database (‘u1234567’ is your hosting login), which is already created automatically in the control panel when you order a hosting. You can find its access credentials in the control panel;
- upload Joomla files to the website directory:
- In the Domains section, click on Additional Domains;
- Proceed to your website directory;
- Press Upload in the upper left corner and upload a previously downloaded Joomla archive to the control panel;
- Select the Joomla archive and press Extract;
- In the opened window, press Extract File(s);
- proceed to your website address. Your domain must be linked to hosting: How to link domain to hosting.
- You will see the starting page for Joomla installation. Enter the website name, email and login of administrator.
- We strongly recommend you to avoid common user names such as: ‘admin’, ‘administrator’, ‘adm’, etc. The better option is to use your first name and second name. This will increase your website immunity against brute force attacks.
- Press Next.
- If you see a browser message saying that the page or server can’t be found, check article Browser reports that it cannot find page or server.
- enter the database connection credentials to the relevant fields;
- for the ‘Database server’ field, keep it as ‘localhost’;
- As you have entered the data, press Next.
- Reminder: you can use the already existing database u1234567_default (‘u1234567’ is your hosting login), which is automatically created in the control panel when you order a hosting. Its access credentials can be found in the Control Panel.
- if you have entered data correctly on the previous step, you will see the page with text “Joomla installation almost completed”;
- But if you see a mistake, go one step back and check, if the entered data for the database connection are correct.
- Scroll the page down and make sure that all the settings are supported;
- If the PHP version is not supported (the version is newer than 5.3.10) you need to change your PHP version in the Control Panel. How to change PHP version?
- If ‘Magic Quotes GPC Off’ or ‘Register Globals Off’ are not supported, change the parameters in php.ini accordingly. How to change PHP parameters.
- When all the settings conform with the requirements, press Install.
- The installation of Joomla is completed. Don’t forget to delete the Installation directory.